A swollen lip is really an embarrassing and painful situation which causes difficulty in drinking, eating, talking or even opening the mouth properly.
The skin tissues in our lips are soft and delicate, so they get hurt quickly and swollen up. The reasons for this swelling includes trauma, dryness, allergies, extreme weather conditions, insect bite, poor diet, dehydration, viral infection or usage of poor quality lip care products.
You should consult your doctor if you’re suffering from a swollen lip that caused due to an allergy, serious injury or any chronic medical problem for proper diagnose and treatment.
For other cases of a swollen lip, you can go through these natural home remedies rather than using any over the counter cosmetic medications.
Home Remedies for Swollen Lips:
Here are the best remedies that are widely used to reduce the swelling of your lips. Follow them regularly for quick and effective results.
Remedy – 1: (Cold or Warm Compress)
Cold or warm compress will improve the blood flow and thus lessens the accumulation of blood in the swollen area, which in turn, reduces the swelling and inflammation.
- Wrap some ice cubes in a washcloth (for cold compress) or soak a washcloth in warm water and wring to remove excess water (for warm compress).
- Place any of this compress on the swollen lip area for 5 – 7 minutes and remove it for a minute.
- Repeat the application again and continue this process for few times a day till you get rid of a swollen lip.
Remedy – 2: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera has skin soothing property that reduces pain and swelling of the lips. It is the best remedy for treating swollen lips, caused by insect bites or some kind of allergic reactions.
- Apply a fresh aloe vera gel on the swollen lip using your fingers.
- Massage the area gently for a minute till aloe vera is absorbed by the lip.
- Continue this application for 2 – 3 times daily.
Remedy – 3: (Turmeric)
Turmeric contains curcumin, which exhibits antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that heal your swollen lip. Cold water and fuller’s earth used in this process will enhance the healing process.
Here is the detailed process to prepare a herbal ointment used to get rid of a swollen lip.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder in 1 teaspoon of fuller’s earth.
- Stir well by adding enough cold water till it forms a paste.
- Apply this herbal paste all over the affected lip.
- Let it dry for few minutes and rinse your lips using lukewarm water.
- Continue the application of this ointment for twice daily until you get relief from the swelling and pain.
Remedy – 4: (Black Tea Bag)
Black tea has tannins which exhibit an astringent property that helps to reduce the pain and swelling in the soft tissues of the lips.
- Place a black tea bag in warm water for about 10 minutes.
- Take out the tea bag and squeeze it to remove excess water.
- Let it cool for few minutes and place this black tea bag over the swollen lip.
- Let it sit for 10 – 15 minutes and take it out.
- Do the same process for several times a day till you get relief from the lip swelling.
Remedy – 5: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil exhibits antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat swollen lips (especially caused by cuts or infections).
- Dilute few drops of tea tree oil in 1 teaspoon of any natural or carrier oil (like coconut oil, almond oil or olive oil or jojoba oil).
- Apply this mix on the lips and massage gently.
- Rinse off after 30 – 45 minutes with water.
- Pat dry your lips and repeat the same process for few times daily
Remedy – 6: (Witch Hazel)
Witch hazel has an astringent property that soothes your pain, reduces swelling and also cleans the cut or infection causing swollen lip.
- Mix 1/2 tablespoon of salt in 1 tablespoon of witch hazel and apply it on the affected lip using a cotton ball.
- Allow it to sit for about 30 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
- Repeat the same process regularly till you notice the reduction in your swollen lip.
Try these natural remedies for treating swollen lips. Do you know any other successful remedies? Then share it with us in the below comments box.