More Alzheimer’s disease is diagnosed, the sooner the establishment of a follow-up is easy to set up. This diagnosis is still difficult to establish .
Diagnosis: how it happens?
Despite technological and medical advances, the diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease is still difficult. To screen for disease, doctors have to first pass tests of memory, then confirm this preliminary diagnosis with a lumbar puncture (to measure the levels of two proteins in the cerebrospinal fluid) or PET-SCAN (which allows to trace the brain abnormalities using a radioactive product). A brain MRI complements these tests by checking whether the hippocampus (the brain area responsible for memory) decreased or not.
The signs that can alert
With age, the cognitive functions slow. Also, when you start to forget words or appointments, it must not panic and say “this is Alzheimer’s disease.” “When you care about his memory but that the family members are not worried, it’s often a sign of aging. If the person himself does not notice any changes, but it’s his surroundings that makes the namely, it can be an early sign of Alzheimer’s disease, “writes Isabelle Colleau in its Alzheimer book, practical guide to better management.
Although memory impairment is the first symptom of the disease, it is important to know the difference between the symptoms of degenerative disease and normal consequences of aging.
– Loss of date = aging; Disorientation in Alzheimer seasons =
– Loss of some words = aging; Difficulty maintaining a conversation alzheimer =
– Need a hand with everyday gestures = aging; Unable to do simple things like washing or doing the household = alzheimer
– Struggling to remember the past = aging; Gradual loss of a present moment alzheimer =
– Forgetting to pay its bills = aging; Inability to manage a budget alzheimer =
The signs that show the evolution of the disease
The evolution of the disease is specific to each and can be soft and unobtrusive for 8-10 years. “For example, a person who loves to prepare delicious desserts will take longer to prepare ingredients and make her cake, so she knows the recipe on the fingertips and she has performed multiple times “explains Isabelle Colleau.
Some relatives may be signs that the disease is definitely there:
– The vocabulary is reduced, the person is more and more difficult to start a conversation;
– Simple responses (yes / no) simple questions become misunderstood;
– Non-verbal gestures, grunts or groans indicate discomfort or lack;
– Sleep disorders or emotional disturbances appear;
– The motor and intellectual abilities are very slow;
– Anxiety is increasingly present.
“Some people can also walk around naked without feeling any discomfort while they were very modest. Slowly, they lock themselves in their own bubble, their world where past, reality and fantasy mix” added the founder of the Tout’Alzheimer association.