Bruise is a black, purple red or bluish mark on the skin that caused due to an injury which brushes the small blood vessels and leak blood into the adjacent tissues, under the skin’s surface.
However, the effect of these bruises will depend on the skin’s sensitivity and may take 12 days to months to get heal completely, depending on the severity. The color gets more intense when the broken blood capillaries are close to the skin’s surface.
Injury, fragile skin, accident, over exercising, banging or bumping against something, poor diet (lack of vitamins C & K), bleeding disorders, anemia, obesity, certain medications, etc. will cause these hideous marks. Pain or swelling in the affected area along with the skin discoloration will be experienced as symptoms.
Instead of using OTC medications or creams, just try some simple natural remedies to get rid of bruises and its symptoms.
Home Remedies for Bruises:
Here are the best and widely used natural remedies that help you to speed up the healing process and clear these bruises effectively.
Remedy – 1: (Cold (or ice) Compress and Hot Compress)
Ice or cold compress is an effective way to reduce swelling and pain, as it compress the blood vessels and thus prevent it from further seepage of blood into the tissues and skin.
- Simply wrap some ice cubes in a small cloth and hold it over the bruise affected skin area for 10 – 15 minutes.
- For best results, do it immediately as a first aid after getting this mark on the skin.
- Continue doing the same process for several times in that day (24 hours).
- Also, replace ice with a bag of frozen vegetables as a cold compress (if ice is not available).
- Alternatively, you can also soak a clean cloth in ice or cold water (add few drops of lavender oil) and squeeze it to apply on the affected area to get a soothing effect.
- Never ever apply ice directly on the skin why because it results in frostbite.
After 48 hours, when the initial swelling is gone, then you can apply moist heat to help stimulate the blood flow and to restore the mobility to the affected.
- Soak a clean washcloth in warm water and wring it to remove excess water.
- Place it on the affected area for few minutes till the cloth cool down completely.
- Repeat it few times daily till you get complete relief from the problem.
- Also, you can apply a heating pad on the affected area to improve blood circulation and thereby to get rid of these marks on the skin.
- Alternatively, you can prepare an herbal tea compress by placing 1 teaspoon each of dried lavender flowers and chamomile flowers in 1 cup of hot water. Cover and steep it for 10 – 15 minutes. Strain the mix and refrigerate it. Soak a cloth in this cold herbal tea and use it as your cold compress. Continue it for few times in a day (24 hours)
Remedy – 2: (Arnica)
Arnica is an herbal remedy used to reduce the pain, swelling, and inflammation on the affected area. It enhances the blood circulation all around the bruise affected area.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of witch hazel bark, arnica tincture, chamomile flowers, and St. John’s wort in a bowl.
- Then add 4 drops of lavender oil and 2 tablespoons of cold water in it.
- Stir well and soak a clean washcloth in this mix for few minutes.
- Squeeze the cloth to remove excess liquid and place it on the bruise affected area.
- Wait for 15 – 20 minutes and repeat it once or twice daily in the first couple of days to get rid of pain and the skin discoloration.
Try these Natural Remedies for Bruise. Do you know any other successful remedies for treating bruise? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.