Postpartum Hair Loss is one big problem faced by women after pregnancy. However, the happiness of having baby will slow down with the loss of thick and lustrous hair.
In general, there is a fall of 100 hair strands in a day but due to hormonal changes in the body, the hair will keep falling off with an increased speed.
The increased levels of estrogen help the anagen phase of the hair cycle and thereby keep your hair thick and dense. But after delivery, the estrogen will decline and your hair comes into resting phase and thus starts to fall off.
You can start experiencing this postpartum hair loss from any day after the baby arrives and this problem lasts from 6 months to 1 year.
Don’t worry by looking at the increasing amount of hair shedding, as it can be easily stopped by following some simple lifestyle changes and home remedies. Regular follow-up will definitely help to get rid of hair loss and to promote a healthy hair growth.
Home Remedies to Deal with Postpartum Hair Loss:
Here are some best ways that help you a lot in dealing with postpartum hair loss. Let’s get started.
Remedy – 1: (Take Utmost Care to the Hair)
After giving birth to your child, there are so many responsibilities to take care of, this, in turn, makes you unable to concentrate on your hair and thereby results in hair loss.
So, avoid neglecting your hair and follow this procedure to get rid of postpartum hair loss.
- Gently rinse your hair with a good shampoo for 2 – 3 times a week.
- Always prefer to use lukewarm water rather than hot or cold water to rinse your hair.
- Never ever brush or comb or tie up your hair when it is wet. If possible, keep it loose till it dries completely.
- Don’t use any blow dryers or other heated hair instruments, as they cause dryness and eventually results in hair loss.
- Avoid the usage of braids, pigtails and other tight hairstyles which cause excessive pulling.
- Always be gentle while brushing your hair and also don’t over brush the hair, do it not more than once daily.
Remedy – 2: (Oil Massage)
Oil massage will help to treat many hair problems, including postpartum hair loss. Regular massage of oil on the hair will increase the blood circulation to the scalp and thereby strengthens the hair roots.
- Slightly warm up coconut or olive oil and apply it on the scalp and hair.
- Massage it gently for 5 – 10 minutes by using your fingers.
- Let it sit for overnight and rinse the hair with a mild shampoo in the next morning.
- Continue doing the same process for at least twice a week to get rid of postpartum hair loss.
Note: If you’re having an oily scalp, then try to massage the scalp with the fingertips without applying oil.
Remedy – 3: (Biotin)
Biotin is a B – complex vitamin that helps for faster hair growth and reduces hair loss. It aids in the synthesis of hair protein such as keratin. Lack of biotin will result in hair breakage and hair loss.
- Consume more of biotin rich foods like yogurt, eggs, legumes, almonds, milk, nuts, whole grains, meat, etc. in your daily diet.
- Also, take biotin supplements after consulting your doctor (or) simply use shampoos and conditioners that are enriched with biotin.
Remedy – 4: (Coconut Milk)
Coconut milk is enriched with vitamins, minerals, and proteins that help a lot in restoring the hair and scalp’s health. It not only prevents hair loss but also makes it soft by adding volume to it.
- Always use freshly extracted coconut milk and apply it on all over the scalp.
- Place a shower cap and wait for 15 – 30 minutes.
- After that, rinse off your hair with cool water and dry it properly.
- Do the same process for 2 – 3 times a week till you get relief from postpartum hair loss.
Note: For effective results, add a little fenugreek seed powder to coconut milk before applying on the scalp.
Remedy – 5: (Eggs with Olive Oil)
Olive oil treats hair loss effectively with its moisturizing, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. An egg has essential proteins that make the hair stronger and thicker. This combination is very effective in treating postpartum hair loss.
- Beat 1 – 2 eggs thoroughly and mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil in it.
- Stir well and apply it all over your wet hair.
- Let it sit for about 30 minutes and rinse the hair with lukewarm water.
- Shampoo the hair and try this protein mask regularly for once or twice a week.
Remedy – 6: (Indian Gooseberry)
Indian gooseberry (or amla) has rich content of vitamin C that nourishes the hair, maintains a healthy scalp and thus promotes healthy hair growth. Regular follow-up of this remedy will help to clear postpartum hair loss.
Here are some ways of using amla for treating postpartum hair loss.
- Add 1 tablespoon of amla powder in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and stir well to make a thin paste. Heat the paste till it boils and then strain it. Use this amla infused oil to massage it on the scalp at night before bed time. Shampoo your hair in the next morning. Do it regularly for once a week.
- Consume 2 – 3 tablespoons of amla juice daily, as it works as a powerful tonic that adds volume and shine to your hair.
- Eat 1 – 2 amla or simply take its extract as a dietary supplement after consulting your doctor for healthy hair growth.
Remedy – 7: (Fenugreek Seeds)
Antecedents in fenugreek seeds help to promote hair growth and also rebuild the hair follicles. It also has proteins that are essential for overall hair health.
- Soak 1 – 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in 1 large bowl of water for overnight.
- Strain the seeds and use the water to apply it on the scalp in the next morning.
- Let it sit for 1 – 2 hours and then shampoo your hair.
- Continue doing the same process for twice a week till you cured postpartum hair loss.
Note: Or grind 2 tablespoons of soaked fenugreek seeds into a fine paste. Apply it on the hair and cover it with a shower cap for 30 – 45 minutes. Rinse the hair with water followed by shampoo. Do it 1 – 2 times a week.
Remedy – 8: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera soothes the scalp, repairs the hair follicles and balances the pH of the scalp to maintain a healthy hair growth.
- Mix a few drops of fresh lemon juice in 1/2 cup of fresh aloe vera gel.
- Stir well and apply it on all over the scalp and hair.
- Wait for 20 minutes and then shampoo your hair.
- Continue doing it regularly for once a week till you cleared the problem.
Note: Or simply drink aloe vera juice on a regular basis to grab the healthy hair growth.
Remedy – 9: (Diet Plan)
Following a healthy diet will definitely impact a healthy hair growth, while a poor and unbalanced diet will make the hair to fall off easily. So, plan your diet by including these things in your diet.
- Include vitamins (A, B, C & E), minerals (zinc, copper, iron, selenium and magnesium) and other nutrients in your diet.
- Intake of some variety of fresh fruits and vegetables along with healthy proteins will help you to ensure a healthy hair.
- Consume dark leafy greens (rich in iron and vitamin C), fish (rich in magnesium and omega – 3s), eggs (vitamin D) and carrots and sweet potatoes (beta – carotene).
- Drink more of water and other healthy fluids to flush out the toxins causing hair and health problems
Try these simple home remedies and tips to deal with your postpartum hair loss. Do you know any other successful remedies for treating hair loss? Then share it with us in the below comments section.