Last time you had gastro trouble, your doctor probably recommended sipping on an electrolyte energy drink. But do you even know what he meant when he mentioned an electrolyte energy drink?
So, why not prepare your own electrolyte energy drink at home?
Here are the basic ingredients that go into making an energy booster at home:
Water is the primary ingredient that acts as the carrier of electrolytes.
Salt (unrefined only) is rich in several minerals like sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium. It helps replenish the sodium reserve in the body that declines with sweating and thus maintains the cell voltage in your body while keeping you electrically charged throughout. It also plays a major role in balancing stress hormones, while reducing adrenaline fatigue.
Citrus fruits are high in vitamin C, potassium and calcium content and thus are exceptionally rich in electrolytes. The naturally occurring sugars in citrus fruit juices are a great energy booster during a workout and even speed up recovery afterward. Moreover, fruits like lemons, oranges and grapefruits that are rich in vitamin C help maintain the immune system by replenishing lost electrolytes in the body.
Honey acts as a natural sweetener and is packed with natural enzymes and minerals that help the body absorb the richness of salt components, while also improving the taste of the drink. Moreover, honey contains antimicrobial and healing properties that help in soothing sore throats and coughs.
Ginger contains anti-nausea and anti-inflammatory properties that, with sea salt, acts as a powerful concoction to help you feel better and rejuvenated. Ginger is also a plus for soothing your stomach and reducing muscle soreness.
Here are 2 recipes for homemade electrolyte energy drinks:
DIY Homemade Electrolyte Energy Drinks
A – Ginger Electrolyte Drink
Things you’ll need:
- Water – 1 cup
- Fresh ginger slices – 3 to 5
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Sea salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Raw honey – 1 to 2 tablespoons
1. Heat 1 cup of water in a pan.
2. Throw in 3 to 5 slices of ginger.
3. Boil and steep for about 5 minutes and then strain the liquid.
4. Add lemon juice to the solution.
5. Add ¼ teaspoon of unrefined salt to it.
6. Pour 1 to 2 tablespoons of organic honey.
7. Mix thoroughly to dissolve the salt and honey completely. This will help blend the sweet, sour and salty flavors well.
Sip and enjoy the energy drink during and after your workout session for a refreshing start of your day.
B – Orange and Lemon Delight
Things you’ll need:
- Water – 2 cups filtered
- Lemon juice – ¼ cup freshly squeezed
- Orange juice – ½ cup freshly squeezed
- Raw honey – 2 to 4 tablespoons
- Unrefined salt – ¼ teaspoon
1. Take one-half cup of orange juice.
2. Add lemon juice to it. Mix the juices together to blend in the sweet and sour flavors.
3. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of raw honey.
4. Pour in water and mix the solution well.
5. Add a little unrefined salt to it.
6. Whisk the ingredients together to completely dissolve the salt and honey.
Enjoy the refreshing treat whenever you want a boost of energy and mood or during and after your workout sessions.
If you like this DIY homemade electrolyte energy drinks, share this post and leave a comment below.