A complementary blend of sweet, tasty and creamy, all in one – ice cream! But yes, a healthy one! Matcha green tea ice cream is a super healthy substitute for your ice cream craving.
One of the most relished ice cream flavors in Japan, matcha green tea is not a common ice cream flavor in western countries. However, if you have developed a taste for matcha and can’t find the ice cream in your area, here is how you can make it on your own.
Here are two easy and quick recipes for matcha green tea ice cream:
Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream for Vegans
Worry not if you are a vegan! You can still enjoy matcha green tea ice cream with this recipe.
Things you’ll need:
- Full-fat coconut milk – 12 oz
- Unsweetened vanilla almond milk – 1 cup
- Matcha green tea powder – 1 teaspoon
- Pitted dates – 1/4 cup
- Maple syrup – 1/4 cup
- Roasted flaxseed powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Step 1. Pour coconut milk and almond milk into a blender
- Pour 1 can of full-fat coconut milk into a blender.
- Add 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk to the coconut milk.
Step 2. Add dates, maple syrup and matcha tea powder
- Throw in 1/4 cup of pitted dates, 1/4 cup of maple syrup and 1 teaspoon of matcha green tea powder into the blender.
Step 3. Blend until well combined
- Run the blender until the ingredients are well combined into each other.
Step 4. Mix water and flaxseed powder to form a thick paste
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon each of roasted flaxseed powder and warm water in a bowl. This will form a thick and sticky gum-like paste.
Ground flaxseeds work great for binding the ingredients together and adds softness and moisture to your ice cream, giving that desirable gluten effect.
Step 5. Blend the flaxseed paste into the other ingredients
- Dump the flaxseed paste into the blended mixture and blend again.
Step 6. Transfer to a mixing bowl and beat
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Beat and churn the mixture for 4 to 5 minutes.
Step 7. Chill and enjoy
Once you are done churning, you can eat the ice cream as a soft serve or put it in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours until it hardens.
If you have an ice cream maker at home, you can simply pour the mixture into a pre-chilled ice cream maker and operate as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
Your homemade matcha green tea ice cream will keep in the freezer for 7 to 8 days. However, the flavor is best when it is fresh. Enjoy it topped with pomegranate seeds, fruit compote or cacao nibs.
Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream for Non-Vegans
Things you’ll need:
- Heavy cream (cold) – 1 cup
- Sweetened condensed milk (cold) – 1/4 cup
- Matcha green tea powder – 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
Step 1. Mix matcha green tea and water in a bowl
- Place 1 tablespoon of matcha green tea powder in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of hot water and mix well so that there are no lumps.
Step 2. Whip heavy cream until stiff
- Pour 1 cup of cold heavy cream into a bowl.
- Thoroughly whip the cream with a beater until it becomes thick and stiff.
Step 3. Combine condensed milk and green tea mixture
- Pour 1/4 cup of cold sweetened condensed milk into a bowl.
- Add the green tea mixture to the condensed milk.
- Mix well to form a smooth paste.
Step 4. Mix the green tea mixture and vanilla essence into the heavy cream
- Add the green tea and condensed milk mixture to the heavy cream.
- Throw in 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence as well.
- Mix and fold until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Step 5. Freeze the mixture in a container or silicon molds
- Transfer the mixture to a container or baking pan, or distribute it into various molds, depending on how you want to serve it.
- Freeze for at least 5 to 6 hours or overnight.
Enjoy your chilled matcha green tea ice cream the next day!