A headache is a most common health problem faced by everyone in this busy world. It is an indication that our body is lacking something, which can be a breathe, water to stay hydrated, and improper posture.
There are 3 types of headaches in general – a tension headache (gets discomfort in head and neck due to muscle tightness), migraine headache (an intense headache with nausea and sensitivity to light and sound) and cluster headache (pain is limited to one side of the head).
Physiological changes in the head, genetics, stress, overuse of painkillers, dehydration, nutritional deficiency, constriction of blood vessels, allergies, abnormal neuron activity, smoking, alcohol intake, over or lack of sleep, eye or neck strain, etc. are some causes of headaches.
Instead of simply popping a pill (over the counter or prescription pain – relievers), you can just try some natural remedies to get rid of a headache that is safe and heals the problem naturally
Home Remedies for Headache:
Here are the best and effective natural remedies, which include herbs, diet changes, posture corrections and more that help you to overcome this headache in a natural and healthy way.
Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Ginger)
Ginger has an anti-inflammatory property that reduces the pain and inflammation of the blood vessels and thereby provides soothing relief from a headache.
Here are some ways of using ginger for treating your headache.
- Mix equal quantities of fresh ginger juice and lemon juice in a bowl. Stir well and consume it once or twice daily.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of dry ginger powder to 2 tablespoons of water till it forms a fine paste. Apply this paste on the forehead and massage gently for few minutes to get relief from your headache.
- Boil ginger powder or raw ginger pieces in water and inhale the vapor to treat your headache.
- Drink ginger tea prepared by steeping few slices of ginger root in 1 cup of boiled water for few minutes and add some honey and lemon juice to it.
- Chew 1 – 2 pieces of ginger slices (or) crystallized ginger candy (or) include ginger in your daily diet.
Remedy – 2: (Cold or Hot Compress)
Cold or ice compress will exhibit a numbing effect on the pain and reduces inflammation causing a headache. It also constricts the blood vessels and relieves you from the pain and pressure causing this throbbing ache.
If you’re suffering from tension or anxiety or cold weather, then applying hot compress will help you to get rid of a it . If you want, you can try alternating hot or cold compress till you get rid of the problem.
- Prepare a cold compress by placing few ice cubes in a cloth (or) dip a cloth in ice cold water (or) an ice pack (or) a bag of frozen vegetables on the head area where you’re getting throbbing pain for few minutes to get rid of the problem.
- Prepare a hot compress by soaking a washcloth in hot water and wring it to remove excess water. Apply the cloth in such a way to cover your forehead and eyes. Leave it for few minutes and reapply it, if needed to get rid of your headache.
Remedy – 3: (Peppermint Oil)
Peppermint is an herbal remedy that has soothing, calming and numbing properties which reduce a headache and the discomfort caused by it. It has menthol that helps to open or close the vessels to promote proper blood circulation and thereby heals it quickly.
Here are few ways of using peppermint oil for treating headaches.
- Apply some peppermint oil directly on the forehead, temples, and back of the neck. Massage gently for few minutes and take rest for few minutes to clear headaches.
- Crush a handful of peppermint leaves and extract its juice. Apply this juice (or crushed peppermint leaves) on the forehead and temples to get rid of tension headaches.
- Mix 3 – 5 drops of peppermint oil in 1 tablespoon of carrier oil (coconut or almond or olive oil or water). Stir and use it to massage on your forehead and temples for few minutes.
- Add few drops of peppermint essential oil to a large bowl of hot water. Cover your head till the bowl with a towel and inhale the steam for few minutes.
- Also, extract the juice of handful of crushed mint leaves (or coriander leaves) and apply it on the forehead and temples to treat your headache (or) place mint teas as a compress on the forehead to relieve the discomforts of headache.
Try these natural headache remedies to get rid of your problem. Do you know any other successful remedies for headache? Then share it with us in the below comments box.